Get Quotes from Top Contractors in New Haven ,CT

How to Verify a Professional's License in New Haven?

When planning to hire a professional in New Haven, verifying this professional's licensing status can help with assessing the professional's competence. The Connecticut State Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) licenses several New Haven professionals across more than 100 professional and occupational license categories. To verify a professional's license, you can utilize the Connecticut license look-up portal or contact the DCP at (860) 713-6100.

In addition to verifying a professional's license, you should also confirm whether there are other professional or occupational requirements the professional must satisfy before offering their services in New Haven. For example, construction contractors are required to obtain a relevant permit before performing any building or construction jobs. These permits are generally issued by the city's Office of Building Inspection & Enforcement. Queries regarding permit applications, issuance, and exemptions can also be directed to this Office at (203) 946-8045.

Connecticut Contractor License Search:

Do New Haven Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

New Haven has a Board of Alders elected by city residents to create, pass, and amend local laws, and govern the city's affairs. The Board of Alders consists of one representative from each of the 30 aldermanic wards within New Haven. Residents can utilize the city's ward map to find their neighborhood's ward and check how the city's wards are organized. The Board of Alders does not issue home improvement or construction permits, as this is the duty of the city's Office of Building Inspection & Enforcement. Notwithstanding, the Board of Alders has deliberated and made decisions on some housing and construction projects in New Haven. For example, as of September 2021, the Board of Alders is reviewing an application to develop 500 new apartments on the south side of Long Wharf Drive. Also in September 2021, the Board of Alders approved a 43-year deal between the city and the tweed's airport authorities. This deal includes a runway extension project and new terminals on the east side of the airport with four to six gates.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in New Haven?

Residents of New Haven can file unfair business complaints involving rents and misrepresented goods with the city's Fair Rent Commission and the city's Health Department respectively. Complaints can be filed with the Fair Rent Commission online or by contacting (203) 946-8156. Similarly, you can file complaints with the New Haven Health Department by contacting (203) 946-6999.

Residents can file other consumer or unfair business complaints directly with the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection. These complaints can be filed online, by email, fax, mail, or in-person. To file a consumer or unfair business complaint by email, fax, mail, or in-person, you need to obtain a consumer statement form. After filling the form appropriately, you may then email it, fax it to (860) 707-1966, or deliver it by mail or in-person to

  • Department of Consumer Protection
  • 450 Columbus Boulevard
  • Suite 901
  • Hartford, CT 06103-1840

If your consumer or unfair business complaint includes any allegedly unlawful conduct by the professional or business, you can contact the New Haven Police Department at (203) 946-6316 for assistance on how to file a separate criminal report.

When you file a consumer or unfair business complaint, note that your complaint will be addressed by the relevant agencies in the public's interest and not in your personal interest. Therefore, you may not be compensated for the wrongful actions you complained about. To secure your compensation, you can make a formal complaint to an appropriate court. Formal complaints with claims less than $5,000 are usually filed at the small claims court of either the New Haven Judicial District Courts or the Meriden Judicial District Courts. Nonetheless, you should also note that it is best to engage the services of a qualified attorney for advice on the best legal steps.